Sunday, August 16, 2009

The Happy Campers

So last week we had our annual family campout up at Mirror Lake with my brothers and sisters and their families. We normally have a blast but this year we happened to be there when Utah had record low temperatures. Lets just say we froze!!! And since we have a little girl who absolutely hates being covered up with blankets even when she is cold, we only lasted one night....and most of the night was spent in the truck with the heater on. We stayed the next day waiting for it to warm up and it never did so instead of spending another sleepless night in the truck, we headed home to our nice warm beds. Did we feel guilty about leaving...Yes and No. Yes, because we left before all the family showed up and we missed having fun with them. No, because it was windy and rainy and cold...and after we left we found out that it started hailing and there was frost on the ground the next morning.

Ron spent all day fishing and ended up catching three fish which he fried up for dinner to go along with the yummy dutch oven enchiladas we made.


Here's our happy but cold family right before we came home from Mirror Lake.


Rilynn, Claire, and Ben had lots of fun playing with each other and going on little hikes.


Luke and I didn't last long fishing but we still had fun.



Then earlier this week Luke decided that we needed to make up for our bad camping experience so saturday night we set up the tent in our backyard, made a fire in the fire pit, ate smores, roasted hot dogs (I don't even like hot dogs but I must admit that these tasted good), and had a great time watching movies all night long.
Claire even got to go fishing saturday night...so what if it was in the bathtub. She caught a red fish, a pink fish, and a orange fish.

Notice Claire's lack of clothing....lets just say the weather was alot better.


Mmmmm, look at this yummy smore.

2 comments:

Stefanie - Arts and Special Events Coordinator said...

Smores are the best when you use those chocolate covered shortbread cookies. Seriously yummy! You guys are adorable! I keep having the urge to go camping and then I think of the lack of sleep and shy away from that experience! Go you! (By the way - its me! Sarah. I am logged in under my work email and if I sign-out my comment will disappear, so you just have to bear with me!)

Jordan Atkinson said...

"Happy Campers" huh? Well, we all know that I was one of the not-so-happy campers because of the cold. :(