Monday, February 15, 2010

Chicken Cordon Bleu

Since Valentine's Day fell on a Sunday, I decided to make a nice dinner since we wouldn't be going out to eat. I decided to make Chicken Cordon Bleu which reminded me that I promised Sarah I would post the recipe. So here it goes....the only problem is that I don't actually have a recipe.
So first of all I get the chicken breasts, cut all the fat off, place one in a plastic grocery bag (so chicken juice doesn't go flying everywhere), use the smooth side of a wooden mallet and pound the chicken until it is about 1/2 inch thick. Do this with all the chicken breasts.
Then I get a slice of Swiss cheese and fold it in half and then fold it in half again. I do this so that when you wrap the ham around the cheese, the cheese is completely covered so it can't ooze out while cooking. So then of course you wrap the cheese with one or two pieces of ham, place it on one half of the chicken and fold the other side over. Try to get it so that you can't see any of the ham sticking out. Then you need to get some toothpicks to hold the chicken together so the ham and cheese doesn't fall out while cooking I usually need 2-4 toothpicks per chicken breast and they need to be placed at enough of a diagonal that the chicken will lay flat while cooking. Then dip the chicken breast into a beaten egg and then into some Italian breadcrumbs that you have seasoned with lots of salt and pepper. Then you fry it for about 10-15 minutes on each side. I learned yesterday that it works best if, after the oil gets hot, you turn the heat down to med-low so that the chicken cooks fully without drying out. And you have to have enough oil in the pan that half of the chicken breast is covered. I tried baking them once and it worked out great but it tasted much better being fried.

For the sauce I just get a can of cream of chicken, add a half can or water or milk, a scoop of sour cream, and some salt, pepper, and onion powder.

Let me know how it works out for you. Oh, and tell Matt that I want his Mac and Cheese recipe.



This isn't the best picture but I was more interested in eating dinner than taking a good picture of it.

3 comments:

Stephanie Cowan said...

Tina your the best cook. It looks so good. I thin I will make it this week.

James, Kira, Rylee, Jett and Maddyson said...

Yummy! Looks really good!

Matt Hale said...

Tina - I feel so special that you would post all of that for me! It looks amazing - I definitely want to try making it! Thanks!